Xbox and Calm, the #1 sleep and meditation app, have announced a collaboration to bring the first-ever, video game-themed soundscapes to the platform. A study, conducted at the University of Limerick, concluded that video games have “the potential…to successfully combat symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress.”
This was best demonstrated during the COVID-19 pandemic and the study examines “the latest research highlighting the potential for commercial video games to mitigate symptoms associated with the 2 most prevalent mental health disorders in the general population: anxiety and depression.”
Xbox recognises that the holiday period can be stressful for many and as such, has collaborated with Calm for these soundscapes.
Xbox & Calm
Fans can now “immerse themselves and enjoy the meditative sounds of whirling waves and chattering birds from the ocean expanse of Sea of Thieves and the ambient alien sounds of Zeta Halo from Halo Infinite.” Both soundscapes are available through Calm Premium but Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers are in luck. From today, Ultimate subscribers can redeem three months of Calm Premium for free.
Once the three months have elapsed, Ultimate subscribers will be able to renew and receive 50% off their first-year subscription. Other Xbox programs supporting the mental health of gamers include;
- Xbox Games Studio, The Coalition will donate 1% of net revenue from all Gears of War games and merchandise to organizations working to prevent suicide and combat loneliness. This year, players can purchase the 2022 Benefit Tee from the Xbox Gear Shop, with all proceeds benefiting Crisis Text Line.
- Microsoft Rewards members can earn and donate points to organizations supporting mental wellness, including Crisis Text Line, The Games and Online Harassment Hotline (Feminist Frequency), Take This, CheckPoint, and Lifeline.
- Xbox has also carefully curated a selection of games from Xbox Game Pass that provide an escape from the trials of life and help players connect with their unique identities, including Persona 5 Royal, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Disney Dreamlight Valley, Unpacking, and Stardew Valley.
- Xbox Ambassadors will share their personal perspective on the role that gaming has played in their mental wellness journey to help support others.
- Throughout the month of December, the Xbox Plays team will host Twitch Takeovers with guest streamers to share their favourite feel-good games, stress relief tips and more.