Announced today at PAX East, Guns, Love & Tentacles: The Marriage of Wainright and Hammerlock is the second Borderlands 3 DLC. Launching on March 26, 2020, this new Borderlands 3 DLC takes place on the brand-new ice planet of Xylourgos and within the village of Cursehaven. Taking influence from Lovecraftian fiction and the Cthulu mythos, Guns, Love & Tentacles is Borderlands 3’s strangest DLC yet.
Lying dormant and frozen above Cursehaven is a gigantic Vault Monster worshipped by “creepy cultists” who are ” hellbent on breaking up the betrothed partners.” Gearbox says that players will need to fight the forces of evil to ensure the happy couple can get married.
Wainright and Hammerlock and the crew of the Sanctuary III aren’t alone in their fight on Xylourgos. Borderlands 2’s Gaige is back and is the wedding planner for this wonderful occasion.
She’s brought Deathtrap with her too.
Borderlands 3 DLC
Guns, Love & Tentacles not only takes players to an all-new location it introduces new enemies, new weapons, new gear and more. Gearbox says that Xylourgos is unlike anywhere players have visited in Borderlands before. While it’s an icy, frozen location — like Borderlands 2’s Southern Shelf — Xylourgos differs in aesthetics, style and themes.
Enemies and alien monsters in this DLC feature tentacles, mutations and more. Eldritch Horror is the name of the game in this DLC so expect to see some very new and very different content when you play.
In an Australian exclusive, we spoke to Anthony Nicholson, Gearbox’s Head of DLC Production about the upcoming DLC who told us that the idea behind the DLC is a big game hunt.
In the past games, Hammerlock is a big gamer hunter right? And in Borderlands 3 Hammerlock and Wainright get engaged so why don’t we do something where they go to this new planet for a big game hunt and things go awry.
With that idea in place, Gearbox realised it could do more “spooky stuff” and “some really cool things with enemies.” That’s where tentacles, cultists and enemy types that Gearbox can’t use in “main game Borderlands” came into this DLC.
While this DLC will add new weapons and gear to the game, Nicholson wasn’t able to give me a full rundown of what they’ll entail. However, he did mention that the weapons would be themed after the DLC.
Just like the Moxxi’s Heist DLC which was casino-themed with jackpot roulette, dice, rolling all the different types of things. You will see some guns, shields and different drops that have the Lovecraftian and Cthulu theme and vibe.
I asked Nicholson if this would mean guns with tentacles and eyeballs he simply laughed and said yes.
When Guns, Love & Tentacles launches for Borderlands 3 on March 26, Gearbox is promising the following;
- Reunite with old friends and team up with some eerie new characters to help true love triumph over eldritch horror
- Brave the bone-chilling wastes of Xylourgos, an all-new ice planet unlike anywhere you’ve visited in the Borderlands before
- Confront bloodthirsty enemies and formidable bosses including alien beasts, hideously mutated occultists, and a clan of cold-blooded bandits
- Delve into the disturbing and occasionally daft backstories of cursed townfolk in a host of spine-tingling side missions
- Arm your Vault Hunter with some of the deadliest gear in the galaxy, including a trove of additional Legendaries and some supremely powerful Class Mods
- Flaunt your sense of style with a slew of new cosmetic items, from Vault Hunter Heads & Skins to interactive Room Decorations and all-new Vehicle Skins
For more information on the new DLC, check out the official blog post.
Guns, Love & Tentacles: The Marriage of Wainright and Hammerlock is coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One on March 26, 2020.