The beleaguered Anthem has received yet another update, 1.0.4.02, which brings a few fixes but nothing truly noteworthy.
The latest update is probably the seventh or eight since launch. It’s great to see the team at BioWare working hard at fixing the game but overarching issues like loot and content remain broken. And, we likely won’t see that fixed for several months to come.
Anthem Update 1.0.4.02
Update 1.0.4.02 biggest ticket item fixes components dropping for a javelin that you aren’t currently playing with. Also fixed is an annoying issue of Apex creatures like Titans and Ursix disappearing in Freeplay.
Here’s a list of all the fixes in the update:
- Fixed an issue that was causing loot to drop for javelins other than the one being used
- Addressed a number of issues that could occasionally cause Nvidia highlights to crash
- Fixed an issue that was causing Elysian Cache items to not appear until completing another activity or restarting the game
- The newsfeed will now properly show content again upon launching into the game
- Fixed an issue that was causing Ursix and Titans to not spawn as frequently in Freeplay
- Fixed an issue that would cause the screen to shake when enabling DLSS and turning off motion blur
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause players not to be able to interact with Owen, or hear his audio at the end of the Legendary version of the mission “Finding Old Friends”
- Titans, Ursix, Luminaries and Fury enemies should no longer disappear when another player starts an Event in Freeplay
As you can see, these are a lot of minor fixes but nothing that fundamentally makes the game more desirable to play. BioWare still has a ton of work to do to bring Anthem into a state that matches its great moment-to-moment gameplay.
However, BioWare has some bigger internal problems to address first. A damning report came out last week from Kotaku’s Jason Schreier detailing how Anthem went wrong.
It gives insight as to why the game seems so broken and incomplete. My confidence has honestly been shaken after learning the extent of how broken everything around Anthem’s development was.
It remains to be seen whether BioWare can turn this around like Bungie did with Destiny 1. Fingers crossed.
Anthem update 1.0.4.02 is out immediately for all players. You can see the official update page here.