Developer Visual Concepts and publisher 2K have announced they’re bringing the WNBA to NBA 2K21 on next-gen in a big way. Expanding upon the inclusion of the WNBA in NBA 2K20, in NBA 2K21 on next-gen, players will have access to a WNBA MyPLAYER experience.
Dubbed ‘The W,’ this first-ever WNBA MyPLAYER experience for the franchise allows players to create and customise their own WNBA player. The WNBA MyPLAYER experience will see players take their player through a pro-career mode which includes all 12 WNBA teams.
In addition, The W will feature an online mode which pits two teams of three MyPLAYER characters against one another.
NBA 2K21 WNBA
In The W Online, 3v3 MyPLAYER matches will be played on a court specially designed and exclusive to the mode. Additionally, in NBA 2K21 on next-gen, players will be able to take part in the MyWNBA mode. Here, players will play the role of both GM and commissioner and manage the 12 WNBA teams and the league.
Felicia Steenhouse, Senior Producer wrote about MyWNBA stating players will have the ability to;
- Create a league of your own. From rules to finances, CBA, draft, and everything in between. Use 2K presets for a different experience, or download shared settings from the community.
- Skip the season altogether and get straight to the playoffs in Playoff mode.
- Want to play with friends? Got you covered with Online Leagues.
- Turn on role-playing elements to experience the WNBA from a GM’s perspective.
- For experienced players, up the difficulty and compete on the leaderboard.
- Once you find yourself immersed in your sandbox, save and upload your custom configuration so you can share what you built with the community!
The MyPLAYER mode begins with importing your face scan or choosing from one of 30 bases. Before diving into the career, players will need to choose from one of 10 Player Types and then customise their body type, height, wingspan and the like.
While playing in the WNBA MyPLAYER mode, following a game, players will be given a few options of what to do on off days. Each decision affects the five career pillars; Player Progression, Player Popularity, WNBA Popularity, Player Wealth, and Teammate Chemistry. Throughout the off season and on off days, players will be able to complete jobs which can have big impacts on a WNBA MyPLAYER.
Each of the off day and offseason jobs fits into a specific category; Coach, Entrepreneur, Global Icon, Fashion Icon, and Influencer. The more a MyPLAYER completes these jobs, the further they’ll progress.
Los Angeles Sparks forward Candace Parker said of the WNBA MyPLAYER experience;
Creating your own player to take over the league is one of the many reasons why people love to play NBA 2K. I’m so excited to see the 2K team elevate the WNBA experience with The W. This will be a great way to introduce the next generation to women’s basketball and showcase our league.
NBA 2K21 will be available for Xbox Series S|X on November 10 and on PS5 on November 12.