Spanish developer Petoons Studio has announced it’s next project. Curse of the Sea Rats is heading to Kickstarter on June 2 as Petoons Studio seeks funding to help develop the 2D ‘ratoidvania’ game. Curse of the Sea Rats features hand-drawn animation against 3D backdrops and real-time combat to produce a unique gameplay experience.
Petoons Studio’s previous title, Petoons Party, was awarded the PlayStation Award for Best Kids Game in 2018. Now, with Curse of the Sea Rats, Petoons Studio is mixing pirates, rats and Metroid.
Set on an island off the coast of Ireland in 1777, players will explore, fight enemies and battle bosses commanded by the pirate Flora Burn.
Curse of the Sea Rats
The Kickstarter campaign is to help fund the completion of the project, especially to cover costs relating to animation and production. Petoons Studio said the funds are critical to the completion of Curse of the Sea Rats without comprising the art and quality.
Petoons Studio has listed the following features;
- Classic hand-drawn animation like the golden era of Disney and Don Bluth.
- A perfect mix of 2D models crafted on a 3D game environment for a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer experience.
- Explore a huge map with hundreds of rooms, in a non-linear quest, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies in the coast of Ireland in 1777.
- 4 playable characters, jam-packed with weapons and special abilities to upgrade.
- Discover all the secret rooms, special items, and multiple endings.
- Single-player mode: more than 12 hours of gameplay for the main quest
- Local Co-Op Multiplayer mode: up to 4 players.
- Spectacular intros and animations to discover the story behind the characters.
The Kickstarter campaign launches on June 2, 2020. If successful, Curse of the Sea Rats will launch for PC, PS4, Switch and Xbox One. Stay up to date with the game at its social links below.