It’s been announced that Alita Battle Angel will be coming to home video in July. Arriving first as a digital release and then on Ultra HD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and DVD later in the month.
Alita Battle Angel is the Hollywood, live-action adaptation of the seminal cyberpunk anime /manga Battle Angel Alita.
Directed by Robert Rodriguez and priduced by James Cameron, Alita Battle Angel stars Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earle Haley, and Keenan Johnson.
Alita Battle Angel
Alita Battle Angel scored $405 million at the global box-office and received mixed reviews from critics.
In the film, Dr Dyson Ido discovers a disembodied cyborg with a living human brain. He names her Alita after his deceased daughter and gives the cyborg the body he built for her.
Discovering Ido is a Hunter-Warrior, Alita rediscovers her hidden martial arts abilities and saves Ido from three cyborg serial killers. Ido begs Alita not to become a Hunter-Warrior but she does so anyway.
According to 20th Century Fox;
When Alita (Rosa Salazar) awakens with no memory of who she is in a future world she does not recognise, she is taken in by Ido (Christoph Waltz), a compassionate doctor who realises that somewhere in this discarded cyborg shell is the heart and soul of a young woman with an extraordinary past.
When deadly and corrupt forces come after Alita, she discovers a clue to her past – she has unique fighting abilities that those in power will stop at nothing to control. If she can stay out of their grasp, she could be the key to saving her friends, her family and the world she’s grown to love.
Included as special features on the home video release are, amongst others;
- Alita’s World – get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
- The Fall – a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita’s return 300 years later.
- Iron City – Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighbourhoods.
- What it Means to be a Cyborg – hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
- Rules of the Game – A high-octane “crash course” in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
- From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro’s beloved manga, “Gunnm,” and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
- Evolution of Alita – how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
- Motorball – go inside Iron City’s favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
- James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and Cast Q&A moderated by Jon Landau.
- Robert Rodriguez’s 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate – a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
- 2005 Art Compilation (2019) – James Cameron’s original compilation of concept art for the then-titled “Battle Angel: Alita,” presented with new voiceover and music.
- Scene Deconstruction – view three different stages of production – the original live action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final WETA VFX from four different scenes
- I Don’t Even Know My Own Name
- Just an Insignificant Girl
- I’m a Warrior Aren’t I?
- Kansas Bar
The digital release will be available from July 10, 2019 while the physical releases will be available from July 24, 2019.