[UPDATE] Report – EA and Respawn will release Apex Legends, a Titanfall Battle Royale Next Week
[UPDATE] – 05/02/2019
Apex Legends is now officially available. The Titanfall Battle Royale from Respawn has launched for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. As the rumours described, Apex Legends features three-man teams of Legends who each have special abilities.
Stay tuned for more on Apex Legends on PowerUp!.
Rumours are flying today that EA and Respawn are on the verge of releasing a free-to-play, Titalfall battle royale titled Apex Legends. The rumours come from sources close to EA who reached out to YouTube channel TheQuartering’s host Jeremy Hambly.
In a recent video, Hambly lays out some of the information he had received while deciding to keep some elements secret in case the story proves to be untrue. Hambly also explains that he reached out to Respawn who asked him to email.
Hambly did as Respawn asked, but did not receive a response. It’s odd that he was asked to contact the developer, who then failed to respond. Though, as this is all speculation, it should all be taken with a grain of salt.
Titanfall Battle Royale
From the information that Hambly did receive, he claimed that EA will be soft-announcing the game on Saturday, February 2, 2019, North American time, by way of some streamers who attended the event. The full announcement of the game will come on Monday, February 4, 2019, North American time.
Aligning with this information is the fact that many Twitch streamers, including popular Titanfall streamers Shroud and DrDisrespect, were in LA for something secret recently. Respawn’s HQ is located in LA and both Shroud and DrDisrespect were playing and streaming Titanfall together recently.
None of this is definitive proof of anything, but it all certainly points towards the report being true.
Hambly, since the release of his video, has revealed that many players in attendance at the Apex Legends event in LA have reached out to him to confirm their attendance and the veracity of his report.
My scoop has now been confirmed by several people who have played the game at EA headquarters. Scoopmeister!! https://t.co/9MYT9qi5O4
— TheQuartering (@TheQuartering) February 1, 2019
Additional details revealed by Hambly about Apex Legenda are as follows;
- Apex Legends will be set in the Titanfall universe
- It will be a free-to-play Titanfall battle royale
- It will be downloadable and playable from Monday, February 4, 2019
- Gameplay is like a combination of Rainbow Six Siege and Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Blackout
- Teams of three will face off against each other with up to 60 players competing on a server
- The three player teams will consist of different characters with different abilities, like Overwatch
- Five characters will be available for all players at launch
- Two additional characters will be purchasable with in-game currency
- In-game transactions will include both cosmetic and game content
Nothing has been officially confirmed so this information is still rumour and speculation, but it’s beginning to look promising. Keep your eyes open for more information, especially over the weekend and on Monday.