State of Decay 2 reaches another milestone with 2 million players
In its first two days of release, State of Decay 2 saw over a million players and now, in less than two weeks it’s reached another milestone. There are now over 2 million State of Decay 2 players who have collectively slain over 2 billion zombies.
In addition to doubling the player count, players are now surviving for three days on average and have completed 121,000 community stories. Update 1.2 was released for State of Decay 2 last week with Undead Labs committed to supporting the players who are enjoying the game.
The update weighs in at a whopping 20GB with patch notes found here and below.
State of Decay 2 Milestone
In State of Decay 2, players step into the shoes of a number of survivors, one year on from the end of the world seen in the first game. They’ll need to manage their communities and work towards making a safe space in order to survive.
State of Decay 2 is available as part of the Xbox Game Pass program and is an Xbox Play Anywhere title.
In my review I wrote;
It’s not without its issues, but State of Decay 2 is certainly worth the low price of admission. The polar opposite of Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 offers so much for players to do that they’ll almost never run out.
If you haven’t had a chance to check it out, why not join 2 million other players and take out some zombies.
State of Decay 2 is available now for PC and Xbox One.
Patch 1.2 Highlighted Changes
The 1.2 patch features significant improvements related to:
- Increased stability
- Improved networking interactions for clients
- Improved networked vehicle interactions
- Elimination of Out Of Memory crashes
Patch 1.2 Highlights
- Grenades no longer get stuck and explode in front of client character’s face or behind their head while throwing
- Fixed instances of clients dealing damage to their host’s non-active community members with explosives
- Flashlight beams no longer cast shadows from the player’s character model (which had caused flickering shadows)
- Characters no longer “self-shadow” when using a flashlight in multiplayer
- Fixed issue with doors appearing the opposite of the state they are in
- Resolved situation where, when getting into vehicles, the camera could become detached from the player’s character
- Fixed issue where, when clients swap weapons while in vehicles, the weapons do not swap upon exit from vehicle
- Fixed rare bug that could prevent Warlord legacy arc from being completed
- Fixed rare bug that could block Sheriff legacy arc from starting
- Fixed issue where player’s loot sometimes becomes invisible until their entire backpack is deposited into a Supply Locker
Networking and Multiplayer
- Numerous networking bandwidth and CPU improvements
- Game now exits to main menu faster when a client loses their internet connection, so players will no longer hang after dismissing the pop-up
- Improved network vehicle interactions in multiplayer games to address weird “rubber-banding” and physics issues (including cars flying into the air).
- Host facilities no longer appear invisible to clients during multiplayer
Zombie and Character Behavior
- Zombies no longer become immune to the Assault Kick
- Reduction of step height to prevent survivors popping up onto props while moving
- Fixed issue with player HUD disappearing after NPCs are executed by zombies
- Community advice list no longer shows up under vignette on the map
Environment and Collision
- Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players or vehicles were getting stuck
- Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players were getting stuck in an infinite freefall animation loop
- Elimination of white line that appears when driving at night time
- Addressed a variety of spots in world where player was not able to climb over props they should’ve been able to
- Additional polish and reduction of LOD popping
- Additional lighting tuning passes, reduction in glowing props
- Addressed a variety of general crash bugs
- Updated a number of strings that were previously hardcoded in English
- Audio mix optimizations